Wednesday, May 7, 2014

One down

Today was a big day and the lead up to it was full of anxiety for me. It couldn't have gone smoother though.

Joe and I dropped the older boys off at school and headed straight to the hospital to meet with my oncologist. I will continue to meet with her every 3rd week before my treatments. She gave me 3 different back up medicines for nausea (to use after my treatment) and told me not to hesitate to use any/all of them if I'm feeling any nausea. In the week leading up to my treatment I had to do a blood test and a heart echo. She told me both came back good, I'm just a little vitamin D deficient so I have to go on a supplement. No big deal really. She's pretty amazing and when we said goodbye to her to head off to chemo she told me I would do great. I don't know why that was so reassuring to me, but it helped me feel super positive about everything. 

Joe and I then headed down to the pharmacy so they could fill my drugs and send them over to the hospital (which is next door). Ironically when I checked in for chemo I was admitted to the last room I was in when I was at the hospital for my prior surgery. Yes, you read that right, I got my own hospital room to sit in while the chemo was administered. This made it so much nicer and easier. I was really able to rest, watch tv, and visit with Joe, my mom and a friend who came in to see me. The nurses told me I can request a room every time since my treatments every week will be 3+ hrs with the chemo combo I'm being given TCH. I'm super happy about that! The actual chemo room is small and cramped and I would be the youngest one in there by years. Not fun.

Once in the room they accessed my port by inserting a huge needle. It hurt so bad! The nurse ended up giving me numbing some cream I will be able to put on before they access it next time. Getting that port accessed was literally the worst part. The nurse then started my series of drugs with an antihistamine. Next went herceptin for 90 minutes. This first treatment will be my longest herceptin treatment, from here they go down to 30 minutes every 3 weeks. I was told I could get chills with this one, I didn't. While the herceptin was being administered I had extreme restlessness and was kinda freaking out. I wanted to pull out my port and was super annoyed. When I asked the nurse what was going on she said it was from the first antihistamine and some people can react the way I was. She told me to see if we can change up that drug next time. I think I will. I was freaking out for a good 1/2 hour.

Next was my first actual chemo drug and they had to start this one out slowly. It's the one people most commonly react to. I was told to look for back pain and redness/flushing and fever. Luckily I had none. There is a possibility that I could still react next time, but I don't think I will. My third drug was easy and went quickly. After my third drug they flushed my port, took out the needle and sent me on my way. Super easy and luckily I felt the same leaving the hospital as I did going in.

It was a long day. We arrived at the hospital at 9:40 am and didn't leave until 5:30 pm. Poor Joe didn't eat lunch while we were there, so we decided to head to dinner after. We tried a new place near the hospital called the Varsity which was the most american food I have ever had in Perth. It was super yum. They even had all our american sodas including rootbeer, cherry coke, dr. pepper and hawaiian punch (this is pretty much a huge deal for us) and they served them with a TON of ice. I felt right at home and it helped with the homesickness I've been feeling. 

I do feel like am one lucky girl and feel so grateful to have such a wonderful supportive man at my side through all this. He truly inspires me and makes me know I can do this and I will get through it and be okay. One more person I could not have made it through the past 5 weeks without is my sweet mom. She has been here and has been my cook, cleaning lady, babysitter, driver, and most of all my friend. I love her and am so happy I get to spend this mothers day with her. It's the best gift I could get for mothers day, having her here. 

I truly feel all of the prayers that are being said in my behalf. It's one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. The power of prayer is real and a friend of mine just sent me an email I just have to share what she wrote because I know it is true she said "The beauty is the influence of prayer is not restricted by geography, time zones, income, or public image and knowledge." Thank you Jen! You inspire me every day. The power of prayer has reached me and I know it's real so thank you for all your prayers. They mean the world to me and lift me up and inspire me. I have faith I will be healed and I will be okay. It may not be easy, but I know it will be worth it. 

Thanks for sending this to me Georgia. I love it!


6 comments:

  1. I'm so encouraged by this update! Sometimes the anticipation of doing a hard thing is the worst part. I'm so relieved this first hard day is behind you!! And I totally agree about the private room being a bonus. Also glad you are feeling the love & prayers because they are real and coming at you from every direction (or at least a ton from Irvine!). Hoping you get to relax & rest today. xoxo, Audra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tori you are such a strong women. Prayers that every treatment goes as good as the first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to a chemo treatment with my sister Jen. I loved being able to sit with her for those long hours. It is a memory I hold dear and I am sure your Mom and Joe feel the same way. I wish you had known my sister pre-cancer because you would see that her cancer simply increased her amazing character. It is, and will continue to be, the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did it!!! One down! �� the first (of almost anything) is the worst - the anticipation always gets me too! Glad it went better than expected!
    Thinking of you!
    -Brooke-

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about you guys non stop. So happy to read that it went well. We're praying for you. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you are feeling our prayers!! When we feel so far away and incapable of helping or relieving...it's sooo nice to be able to pray and know it's being recieved. So glad all went smooth and continue to update:)

    ReplyDelete