Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pathology

Well the Pathology came back. 

There is a 2.3 mm deposit of cancer in one of the two nodes. This means there's a 20% chance of cancer being in the lymph nodes under my arm. 20% is too high a risk not to take them all out, so I have surgery tomorrow to do just that. Effects from this are numbness under armpit extending down a little under my arm and nerve pain. 

They also found the tumor is HER + which means the cancer is a more aggressive type of cancer and so during surgery the dr will install a port right above my right breast that will make it easier to give me my treatments for that type if the cancer. The medicine for that doesn't really have side effects but it will be administered through the port every 3 weeks for the next 12 months and will be started when I start chemo. Cost for this treatment is $50,000... I'm pretty sure it will be covered, but seriously! Crazy 

I have a Stage 2 cancer and the cancer is Grade 2 (which means it's not that aggressive yet) it is considered according to pathology to have both ducal and lobular properties. 

They also they got clear margins on everything and there is no cancer in the right breast. 

The cancer started just behind the nipple and then branched out in 2 areas (multi focal) creating 3 tumors the largest being 18 mm The tumors are Oestrogen positive 70% Progesterone positive 60% We will use hormone therapy to treat this aspect of the cancer Radiotherapy we don't think I will need because the cancer is not vascular yet. Dr will look a little more into this, but he doesn't think we will need it. 

Chemo will likely be for 4-6 months, I have an appt with the oncologist on the 23rd. I love you all so much and want you to know I feel all of your prayers. I have such a sense of peace and comfort in the midst of what's going on. I couldn't ask for better friends and family and we are so blessed. 

Love, 
Tori

2 comments:

  1. Mine is estrogen and progesterone negative but her 2 positive. I have a lymph node affected as well which is how I found it. It was so sore like a bruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish mine was er and pr - because I am really struggling with the fact I have to take the hormone therapy for 5-10 years. We want another baby and the doctors are telling me if I want to get pregnant I would have to take a break from the hormone therapy. I'm not sure I will be able to let myself do it because if it came back I feel I would blame myself. Have you read up on any of this Jaime?

      Delete