Monday, April 14, 2014

Still in the Hospital, Saturday, Sunday & Monday

Saturday April 12

Today I am grateful for modern medicine and for the opportunity I have had to stay this long in the hospital. I know in America I would have been sent home a few days after my first surgery, then I would have had to be re admitted for my second surgery. The fact I have been in Hospital this long has have given me a chance to heal emotionally and physically. I have had time to myself to pray and receive answers to my prayers. To feel comfort and love from my father in heaven.

I woke up Saturday morning exhausted. I don't know what is  going on, but I sleep a few hours at night and wake up for a few hours, then I will sleep a few hours more. Then when morning rolls around and the nurses come into open my curtains I feel like a teenager again when my mom or dad used to come in and open the blinds the get me up for the day. I spent the morning resting, in and out of reading, texting and sleep. I keep sending out random texts that I have fallen asleep in the middle of so they make sense in my head and I think i'm writing what I'm thinking, but I'm not at all.  Saturday evening my friends (Alex, Danielle, Eliza, Kristi, Marika and Georgia) came in and brought me Mexican food (the best you can get in perth...) and mini pavlovas (my absolute favorite dessert). We visited for a few hours and it was wonderful. I love and have felt so much support from my friends. I am so grateful for the church and the opportunity I have had to have an extended family here while living across the world. I truly believe the people we have met here were put into our lives for a reason. We have immediately felt a part of such a wonderful group of friends from the first week we arrived here in Perth. I don't think this is a coincidence. Heavenly Father was aware of our family and what our needs were going to be through this trial.

Sunday April 13

Today was again a very relaxing day. My pain is starting to subside a little so I have been able to go longer between doses of my pain medicine. I was able to  have one drain removed today, so that brings me down to 3 drains. It's so crazy when I get one out, they have become such a part of me that I can't describe how I feel as they are removed. I guess I the only word I can think of is relief maybe. Relief that my body is in fact healing from my surgery. This morning there was a knock on my door and it was our friend Rick. He came into check in on me and to visit. We sat and talked for over an hour and he really opened my eyes and made me realize the hand of the lord in us living here, thousands of miles away from our families while dealing with the hardest trial of our lives. So many have asked if/when we are going back to the US. The answer I have had for them every time is this is our home now. Although we know we aren't going to be here forever, we know we are meant to be here while we face this trial. Our support system here is in place and has been from the second we arrived.

Joe arrived shortly later to listen to conference with me. It was nice to see him and spend time with him. He's growing a beard now and I am loving it. He tell me he will shave it when I start loosing my hair. I'm not sure he will last that long, but we will see. My lifesavers, my parents arrived with the boys a few hours later. I am forever grateful to my parents. The boys have been able to stay completely in a routine and that's exactly what they needed. My mom asked Max if he's ready for her to go and he said no, then it will be lonely. I completely agree. I'm not ready for them to go. I wish I was able to spend time with them instead of sitting in the hospital. I love my parents so much, they are the best.

Monday April 14

I had a pretty good night sleep last night. I'm starting to wean myself off of my strong pain medicine. It's hard to know how much to take because I have been waiting until it was too late and then trying to catch the pain. As I woke up today I realized today was the day I wanted to go home. After talking with my doctor Friday I felt he was going to let me leave if I was ready. The only thing that was holding me back was my drains. I still had 3. I anxiously waited for the nurses to come in this morning to measure the drains to see if I would be getting any taken out. I didn't think the Dr would send me home with 3 drains, but I thought he would send me home with 2. Once they were measured I knew I was getting the last drain in my right side removed. I was so excited to get that drain out. It's the one that had caused me the most pain especially in the beginning. The rest of the day I kind of sat around waiting for the doctor. The nurses finally called him and he gave them the go ahead to let me go home, I was thrilled. The nurses taught Joe how to change my drains and filled me in on the home nurses that would be calling me daily and removing my drains once the draining slowed. The nurses will actually come to my house for my care of my drains. How amazing is this?! Joe and I had talked about how I needed my own reclining chair downstairs to keep me comfortable through my recovery and then through chemo. I would be able to be downstairs, be comfortable and still be a part of whats going on with the family. I would have struggled resting upstairs and hearing life pass me by. So we stopped on our way home and picked up the most comfortable recliner ever. I'm in love with it! It's good to be home, but it was definitely easier to be in the hospital.

4 comments:

  1. Tori, thanks for taking the time to post your updates. Hope you don't mind that Tiffany sent us the link to your blog. We have been praying for you since we heard weeks ago and I've enjoyed reading, crying, and smiling as I've read your posts tonight. We love you! - Lani

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad she did. Thank you so much for your support:)

      Delete
  2. Love that you started this blog and love you! Just wish Australia wasn't so far away so I could be there having sleepovers with you in the hospital :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tori, I absolutely LOVED reading through your blog. Im always thinking of you and wondering how your day to day life is going. Im so thrilled that your parents are there. I can only imagine how great it is to just sit and talk with her. She is an amazing woman, and you surely take after her. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. XOXO!!!! -steph

    ReplyDelete